I can’t believe it! Finally, the snow is melting! The ground is showing (often with lots of melted dog poop, but it is showing). I have bulbs popping up! Spring is on it’s way, and it’s time to get out in the yard.
- First and foremost, pick up the dog poop and trash. It makes a world of difference.
- As the snow recedes, take time to reset bricks and sweep.
- Wipe down any outdoor furniture.
- Clean up or bring out the fire pit (cool spring nights are perfect for backyard fires).
- If you are lucky enough and your soil can be worked, then sow radish and snapdragon seeds.
- Start cutting back perennials to ground level.
- Start seeds indoors. Starting just one small tray of seeds can give you your own organically grown plants. Start seeds you never see at the garden center. Try new varieties of peppers, tomatoes, or flowers! Make sure you read the seed packet for individual instruction.
- Build a cold frame (my weekend project) to get a head start on lettuces and other cool veggies.
Soon, we’ll be seeing lots of spring blooms!