I’m always looking for something new to do with eggplants, it’s hard to not just make eggplant parmesan or baba ganoush all the time. This weekend we tried our hand at an eggplant bolognese recipe from Whole Foods. It needs a day to sit for the spices and flavor to reach it’s peak, but the tenderness of the eggplant was just amazing.
2 teasp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
3 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
1 cup red wine
small onion, diced
2 med/large carrots, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 med eggplant, chopped
12 oz mushrooms, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 28oz can diced tomato or 3-4 large tomatoes from your garden, diced
2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tbsp pepper
- Bring wine to simmer over med heat.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Stir frequently.
- Simmer until almost all the wine is evaporated and the onion is translucent, about 10 min.
- Add eggplant, mushrooms, and rosemary. Cook over med heat another 10 min.
- Stir in paste.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer on med/low for 20 min, stirring frequently.
- this is a good time to start your pasta
- Remove from heat and add almond milk, basil, and salt (to taste).
- Serve over your pasta (for non-vegans, add Parmesan cheese).
This recipe could also be made with gluten-free pasta or forgo the pasta and serve over squash.