Iris are one of the most beautiful early blooms of the season. Once established, they need little care other than dividing every 3-4 years. Planting them in the right location is key.
- Plant iris in full sun, if you live in an extremely warm location, they can take part shade.
- Plant in a spot with good drainage, either slope up the soil, or in raised beds.
- Plant 1-2 feet apart.
- The top of the rhizomes should be visible above the soil line.
- Water to establish, but then back off on the watering. Once a week, deep watering is good.
- Weed to keep them clear of pest.
- After blooming, cut bloom stems back to 2 inches.
- Fall cleanup, cut entire plant back to 6 inches.